How to Make BLT Steak's Fluffy, Puffy Popovers
Change out the filling to match upcoming occasions.
This year's Easter popover featured ham and gruyere.
If you've dined at the Ritz Carlton's bistro-inspired steakhouse, BLT Steak, you've encountered the popovers before. The fluffy, puffy globes of bread beg for a bite when they're placed on your table upon sitting down. The popovers are served as a complimentary appetizer, with the basic recipe yielding a moist, hollow popover that's best with butter.
However, if you dine at BLT during special occasions, you'll get a different version of the bread. The uptown spot often hosts prix-fixe brunches and dinners for holidays, and the popovers get makeovers on these special occasions. During their weekly Sunday brunches, they also host a build-your-own popover option. Bottles of wine are also half-priced on Sundays, in case you wanted to make a popover party out of it.
For those moments you want to stay in, though, you can easily enjoy BLT Steak's popovers at home. Below is the recipe for the basic BLT popover. If you'd like to mix things up, try these recipes for blueberry popovers and pumpkin popovers (fall is coming).
BLT Steak's Fluffy Popover Recipe
Makes 12 popovers
- 4 cups milk, warmed
- 8 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 heaping tablespoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups grated gruyere cheese
- Popover pan (example)
- Place the popover pan in the oven. Heat the oven and pan to 350 degrees.
- Gently warm the milk over low heat and set aside.
- Whisk the eggs until frothy and slowly whisk in the milk (so as not to cook the eggs). Set the mixture aside.
- Sift the flour with the salt. Slowly add this dry mixture to the milk and egg mixture, gently combining until mostly smooth.
- Once combined, remove the popover pan from the oven and spray with non-stick vegetable spray.
- While the batter is still slightly warm or room temperature (definitely not cool), fill each popover cup 3/4 full. Top each popover with approximately 21/2 tablespoons of the grated gruyere.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes, rotating pan half a turn after 15 minutes of baking.
- Remove from the oven. Remove from the pan, and serve immediately.