NC Wines & Charlotte Chefs Join Sensoria
The special food & wine festival takes place on April 15
Piedmont Culinary Guild has partnered with Central Piedmont Community College for this year’s Sensoria Arts and Literature Celebration to add a very special Food & Wine Festival on Sunday, April 15, noon to 4pm at CPCC's Philip L. Van Every Culinary Arts Building.
Eleven of Charlotte’s finest chefs will provide a locally-sourced dish – paired with a North Carolina wine. There will also be a separate area where international wines will be sampled.
"I am so excited to partner with CPCC to bring Sensoria Food and Wine to life," stated PCG Executive Director Kris Reid. "This will be a celebration of some of our city's best chef talent who will be creating wonderful dishes that pair with wine varietals from North Carolina."
Reid continued, "Attendees will see North Carolina produces some incredible wines from varietals many are not familiar with. In addition to these wine and dish tasting stations, we will have some vendors on hand with products to sample and buy. I am looking forward to bringing a part of our region's food and wine community together for this afternoon event."
Participating PCG Chef Members:
- Clark Barlowe – Heirloom
- Ashley Boyd – 300 East
- Chef-Chris Coleman – Stoke Charlotte
- Gregory Collier – The Yolk
- Blake Hartwick – Bonterra Dining & Wine Room
- Kindred Joe – Kindred Restaurant
- Matthew Krenz – The Asbury
- Bruce Moffett – Barrington's Restaurant
- David Quintana – Dot Dot Dot Charlotte
- Justin Solomon – Foxcroft Wine Co.
- Paul Verica – The Stanley
Participating NC Wineries:
- Biltmore Estate Winery
- Childress Vineyards
- Dover Vineyards
- Jones von Drehle Vineyards & Winery
- Laurel Gray Vineyards
- Piccione Vineyards
- RayLen Vineyards & Winery
- Round Peak Vineyards
- Shelton Vineyards
- Surry Community College/ NC Viticulture and Enology
"Using locally grown & produced food is becoming the norm for Charlotte chefs and restaurants, but we need to do more when it comes to making room for NC wines on our menus," explains participating chef Ashley Boyd - Pastry Chef / Owner of Charlotte's 300 East. "I’m excited to work with Childress Vineyards on a dessert pairing for the festival, and equally thrilled that all of the profit from ticket sales will go toward scholarships to help educate our city’s next generation of culinarians."
In addition to the wine and food tastings, six wine appreciation classes will be offered - plus a very special VIP package featuring Riedel - The Wine Glass Company.
The VIP Package offers exclusive access to an in-depth tasting of four different wine varietals: Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Riesling, and Chardonnay. Each wine will be sampled in a Reidel glass, individually designed for that varietal. At the end of the class, VIP attendees will receive box of the four crafted glasses featured in the class. (A $120 value!). Reidel has been manufacturing quality glassware since 1756. The company is known worldwide for its craftsmanship and depth of research to create glassware to enhance the characteristics of specific wine varietals.
Other sessions are:
- From Wine to Vinegar - Learn the fermentation process of taking wine to the next step of fermentation.
- Profiling Flavors of Wine - Solve the mystery of how to accomplish perfect food and wine pairings.
- Chocolate and Wine - Explore this notoriously difficult pairing.
- Whine Not? - Learn about phone apps you can use for purchasing wine in a retail or restaurant environment.
- Fortified Wines - Explore different types of fortified wines and with which foods they typically pair.
- Wine Line Up / A Blind Tasting - Try three wines from three very different parts of the world, united by a common grape variety in a blind setting.
- Tickets are $100/person, General Admission, $160/person Reidel VIP Package.
- Location is CPCC's Philip L. Van Every Culinary Arts Building, 425 N Kings Drive, Charlotte, NC 28204.
This is just one event of 2018 Sensoria: A Celebration of Literature & The Arts April 6-15 at Central Piedmont Community College. The Food & Wine Festival is made possible, in part, by a generous sponsorship from Springer Mountain Farms.
Complete details, session descriptions, and registration can be found at piedmontculinaryguild.com/sensoria.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Piedmont Culinary Guild is a non-profit grassroots effort to create a working dialogue with the food industry by providing a platform that is easily accessible for all to utilize and benefit. Connecting the Food Chain in the Piedmont region of North and South Carolina, the PCG strengthens local chefs, farmers, food artisans, and the culinary community overall by sharing resources, educating consumers, and establishing regional recognition.