Eat 6 Courses of Desserts for a Good Cause at Sugar Shock 2018
Put your sweet tooth to good use at the third annual Sugar Shock, which will take place Monday, January 29.
Some people believe in having dessert for dinner, and for those people, Sugar Shock exists. This event is entering its third year, taking place at 6:30 p.m. on Monday, January 29, at The 658 Center in Plaza Midwood (3646 Central Ave). The event host, Project 658, is a Christ-centered, holistic ministry that "focuses on providing services for at-risk families in Charlotte, moving them toward sustainability, with a key focus on the international and refugee communities," according to its website.
And you can help fund the Project 658 culinary program and community feeding project by enjoying six saliva-inducing courses of sweet treats prepared by some of the city's most respected pastry chefs. Sound to you like a delicious way to help the community? Here's what you need to know to get in on the action:
- Tickets are $55 until January 15. After January 15, ticket prices jump to $65. Buy your tickets here.
- The evening starts at 6:30 p.m., with light hors d'oeuvres from nonprofit Southminster's Chef d'Cuisine Phillip Platoni. The appetizers will be served until 7 p.m.
- You will enjoy a 6-course tasting menu of desserts with beverage pairings from Topo Distillery and Woody Creek Distillery, implemented by Kel Minton of Soul Gastrolounge.
The Sugar Shock 2018 menu and chefs:
1. Roasted Blood Orange Roulade with Tart Cranberry Chantilly, Pecan-Honey Crumble, and Grapefruit Preserves from Sam Allen of Wentworth & Fenn
2. Lemon Mascarpone Icebox Cake with Hazelnut Shortbread, Lemon Curd, Mascarpone Custard, Pomegranate Preserves, and Candied Thyme from Justin Burke-Samson of Kindred and Hello, Sailor.
3. Almond, Hibiscus, Honey, and Mint from Brigitte Oger of Craft Cakes CLT and Southminster
4. Goat Cheese, Spiced Muscadine, Rye Crisp, and Mustard Greens from Alyssa Wilen of Chef Alyssa’s Kitchen
5. Chocolate and Strawberries in Textures from Miranda Brown of The Asbury
6. Cocktail-Inspired Mignardise with either Bloody Mary, Amaretto Sour, Strawberry Margarita, Mojito, or Dark Russian from Jossie Perlmutter and Gabija Vecci from Sweet Affairs and La Piccola Gabbia