Engaged: Lauren & Terrence

Congratulations on your engagement!

Wedding Date: May 22, 2010 at The Historic St. Mary’s Chapel, Charlotte

How They Met:

Back in the summer of 2006, I recall being excited about attending my fraternity’s centennial convention in Washington D.C.  Ironically, this convention would also set the stage for something special in my life. Once I arrived in D.C., I reconnected with a couple of fraternity brothers to celebrate the occasion at Ozio’s, a local restaurant in the heart of the city. I eventually wandered upstairs where I caught the eye of a young lady named Lauren. I took this chance to start up a brief conversation. As we went through the usual pleasantries, she started looking perplexed and asked “Are you from the islands?” I was baffled for a few moments, but soon realized she didn’t recognize my southern twang. I told her “No, m’am. I am originally from South Carolina, however I live in North Carolina.” I told her about my fraternity’s convention and a little bit more about myself. We laughed for a few until the music started, and I ask her to dance. We danced for hours, and before we departed, I asked for her phone number, which she hastily wrote down on a napkin. I couldn’t really tell if she liked me or was trying to brush me off! Nevertheless, I hoped that I might see her again before the weekend was over.

The next day my friends and I spent our time hopping across D.C., attending a multitude of Alpha-related events. Later that evening I decided to call Lauren. The phone rang a couple times until a man picked up the phone. I asked to speak to Lauren, and he said I am sorry you have the wrong number. Carefully, I checked number on the napkin to ensure I had the right number. I figured either she accidentally gave me the wrong number or she did it on purpose, either way I felt duped. Luckily, one of my friends figured out a way to get in contact with her, and the rest is history.

On my way back home I decided to give Lauren a call again, and I’m sure she was wondering why I decided to call her back. I guess she figured there was no way I would ever see her again. Over the next couple months we spent countless hours on the phone talking about everything under the sun. This helped us to grow together and really discover more about one another without any complications. Our friendship, and eventually our love, grew more each day. It has guided us through all the good and bad that comes with any relationship. Through it all, we remained great friends, prayerful, and committed to one another. This has helped us become a stronger couple and now, finally, a family.

The Proposal:

I knew something was strange when Terrence told me that he was flying to D.C. the same day that I was due to leave for home after a three-week business trip in Baltimore. When I asked why, he told me that he wanted to celebrate me passing the bar exam. Even though I told him we could celebrate once I returned, he insisted. Anyone that knows Terrence knows he can be the most stubborn person ever! There was no way to deter him after he’d made his mind up.

Let’s just say that the day Terrence was set to arrive it was one of my most hectic days to say the least. In addition to major wardrobe malfunctions, I was having a bad hair day. To top it off I was an hour late to the airport after fighting my way down the highway in rush hour traffic. Terrence remained surprisingly calm throughout the entire ideal. In hindsight, that really should have tipped me off that something was up!

After picking him up from the airport, we went to dinner at the District Chop House, the place where we had our first D.C. dinner date. It was freezing cold that night, but we still took time to stroll around downtown D.C. hand-in-hand. We hadn’t seen each other for nearly a month, and absence truly does make the heart grow fonder. Over a romantic, candlelit dinner, he told me that the night would be full of surprises. I couldn’t wait to see what was in store.

In the car after dinner, he totally surprised me by telling me that he had made reservations at the W Hotel—my favorite hands down. On this night, however, it seemed like everyone there, including us, was VIP. After strolling past a couple of notable celebs to the elevators, we opened the door to the most fabulous hotel suite I had ever seen. The suite was so nice, in fact, that my original thought was that the W must’ve been an all-suite hotel. Otherwise, what were we doing in a suite?

I alerted Terrence when I found a suitcase in our suite. He told me that we might be in the wrong hotel room. This of course, was totally believable, considering we had no business in a suite this nice in the first place! He told me that he was going to call the front desk to get everything straightened out. Two minutes later, there was a knock at the door. Terrence was in the bathroom changing clothes for our next outing, so he told me to answer the door. I asked who it could be, and he said that it was probably housekeeping coming to discard the suitcase the previous guests left behind. That made perfect sense, so I opened the door. Basically my entire family and my best friends from college were outside screaming congrats. This definitely was not housekeeping.

I walked back in the room in an absolute haze, and at this point I think I knew what was about to happen. Terrence was still nowhere to be seen, but on the wall behind me, a slideshow complete with our song "My Greatest Inspiration" by Teddy Pendergrass played as pictures of our life together were shown on a projector. By the end of the slideshow, I think I was already wiping away tears. Terrence finally came out, grabbed my hand and the rest was history!

Categories: Engagement Announcements