Latta Arcade: 100 Years of History
The uptown landmark was built in 1914
SUNLIGHT STREAMS through arched skylights onto the empty red-and-black checkerboard floor at Latta Arcade. Built in 1914, this South Tryon Street landmark is the city’s last remaining building once occupied by developer Edward Dilworth Latta. His Charlotte Consolidated Construction Company was housed here, along with a cotton brokerage firm, the office of architect William Peeps—who designed the building—and many other businesses. Now pizza and salad joints serve lunch on the first floor while architects examine blueprints upstairs. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and celebrates its 100th birthday this year.