RECIPE: Spring, Thai Style
Try this colorful Thai-inspired dish packed with flavor
Green Curry Fried Rice
Serves: 4 to 6
Prep Time: 30 to 45 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
¼ cup + 2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 cup sliced purple cabbage
1 cup diced carrots
1 pound cleaned shrimp (about 16-20)
4 cups cooked white rice
¼ cup green curry paste, more as desired
2 tablespoons finely sliced chives
Fish sauce, to taste
Salt, to taste
½ cup bean sprouts
6-8 baby bok choy
1. Heat a large cast iron or heavy bottom skillet on medium high. When it is hot, add half the oil and cook the carrots until golden brown on the edges. Add the cabbage and cook for a minute until softened and both vegetables are bright in color. Season with salt, remove from the pan, and place in a large bowl.
2. Sear the shrimp in the pan until pink on both sides but not fully cooked in the middle. Remove the shrimp from the pan and place them in the bowl with the carrots.
3. Add the rice into the pan to brown, moving it around with a wooden spoon until the edges of the rice become golden. Push the rice to one side of the pan and scoot that side of the pan off the direct heat. Add two tablespoons of oil to the empty side of the pan and crack the eggs into the oil. Scramble them with the wooden spoon, and, once they are cooked, push them up onto the rice on the other side.
4. Add another two tablespoons of oil into the pan and add the curry paste. Cook for about 30 seconds until it becomes fragrant, then stir the curry into the rice. As you move everything around in the pan, add the vegetables and shrimp and allow everything to cook together. Season with fish sauce, salt, and additional curry paste if desired.
5. In a separate medium sauté pan, heat the last of the oil and sauté the bean sprouts and bok choy until they are tender and the bok choy is bright green. Season with salt.
6. Plate the fried rice and top with bean sprouts and bok choy.
Green Curry Paste:
1½ teaspoons coriander seeds
¼ teaspoon cumin seeds
¼ teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
¼ teaspoon black pepper
Small bunch of cilantro with stems
1 teaspoon salt
8 garlic cloves, peeled
2 lemongrass stalks, tender parts only, thinly sliced
10 slices of galangal
8 fresh Thai chilies, stems removed
2 shallots, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon dry shrimp paste
¼ cup water
Combine the ingredients using a stand blender until smooth. To store extra curry paste, divide the paste into quarter cup portions in plastic bags and keep them in the freezer for future use.