Summer wedding style: Ever the Gentleman
Bow tie or classic tie? Linen or cotton? Suit or sport coat? We've decoded our top summer wedding looks for men.
Black tie – When it comes to black tie affairs for men, keep it classic. A black tuxedo is standard but during the warm summer months, it’s acceptable to pair a white dinner jacket with black tuxedo trousers for a more modern look. Some will argue that a black suit is acceptable, but we would caution against it.
Ralph Lauren | Black Label
Black tie optional – Usually gentlemen can dress the same as they would to a black tie event, but the word ‘optional’ clarifies that a tux isn’t necessary. If you’re trying to save money or hate the thought of being confined to a tuxedo during the heat of summer, wear a dark suit with a classic white shirt and conservative tie.
Beach formal – If the wedding is on the beach but in the evening, consider it a semi-formal event. Men should opt for a classic button-down shirt with khakis and we suggest throwing on a sport coat for good measure. If you’re looking to dress up a little more, you can’t go wrong with a cotton khaki suit and bowtie. If the wedding is more casual, pair khakis with a linen button-down.
Outdoor casual – Get creative here. Informal, outdoor weddings don’t call for ties but it’s always important to dress the part. Wear a button-down with character (like a chambray shirt with bowtie) or opt for the always Southern-and-fabulous seersucker jacket and khakis. At very casual events, nice shorts will pass if paired with a shirt or blazer but we cringe a little when suggesting shorts are OK.
A few notes:
- Especially for summer weddings, pay attention to fabric. Linen and seersucker are lightweight options that will keep you cool and patterned shirts will help disguise sweat.
- Accessorizing isn’t just for the ladies. The right watch will complete your look. We love simple, leather-banded watches with an eggshell face, perfect for summer. Don’t forget printed dress socks!
- A perfectly tailored suit will change your entire look. Take your suit to a professional tailor to make sure you’re properly fitted from head to toe.
- Skip Great Clips. Make an appointment at a luxury barber spa to make sure your haircut is fresh and sleek. We’re big fans of Emerson Joseph.
- No cargo. Never ever ever.