When the CIAA comes to town, it's the best week ever
When the CIAA comes to town, it’s the best week ever.
The annual Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association basketball tournament, being held February 25-March 1, is in the final year of its three-year deal with Charlotte. While you can be sure several cities will be lobbying to host the conference that is home to ten historically black colleges and universities, Charlotte is the CIAA's perfect match. It should stay here forever.
Why it's good for Charlotte:
- The 2007 tournament had a $27.7 million economic impact.
- For one week, Charlotte is an entertainment mecca with dozens of parties and concerts at venues around the city.
- The tourney attracts numerous celebrities (what up, Diddy!), and we love famous people.
Why it's good for the CIAA:
- More than 165,000 people attended the games and social events last year, which was record attendance.
- Charlotte Bobcats Arena is a top-notch venue.
- The new light rail will make it even easier for fans to get around uptown.